KEEP UR RIVER CLEAN
Our next River Clean up event is scheduled for the 12th December 2020!
Sticking to our usual format, several launch locations have been set out as outlined below and covers the Eastern corridor. You can do as short or as long as you like however we have limited the time to finish within 3 hours. The locations below are just suggestions so if you’d like to start somewhere else please do. Kayakers, walkers and dogs are all welcome and very much needed where stand up paddlers can’t access.
Free board hire is available for experienced paddlers from the SUP Trailer at Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean (end of West Road). Advanced booking essential.
Rubbish HOT SPOTS are under bridges, near cafes, clubs and schools.
FREE SAUSAGE SIZZLE AFTER EVENT FOR PARTICIPANTS.
We want to have as much fun as possible so post up your antics from the day (keep it clean, pardon the pun). Click here to view the video link attached from one of our previous clean ups showing what can be achieved when come together as a community for a great cause!
Date: Saturday 12th December 8.00 am – 11.00 am
8.00 am: Meet at Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean for a briefing of the morning.
Start from your chosen location. If you are hiring a board, then you must start from Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean.
11.00 am: Sort rubbish into piles for recycling or disposal at Sandy Beach Reserve.
12.00 pm: Finish for a social gathering and free sausage sizzle at Sandy Beach Reserve,
We’ll have limited bags and gloves available at the trailer on the day if required.
- Wear something high Vis please
- Wear booties for your feet if tramping through vegetation/ river banks etc.
- Walkers wear solid footwear – beware of snakes.
- Buddy up. Working in pairs can make it easier to pick up rubbish from hard to get places.
- Wear gloves
- Be mindful of sharp objects
- Paddle on the Starboard side (land closest to your right side)
- Remain on your knees in the shallows. Don’t over reach and compromise your balance
- Be aware of other watercraft and boat wakes
- Wear sun protection
- Take phone in water proof bag in the event of an emergency. Available for purchase from SUP Trailer.
- The event will be cancelled if not safe due to extreme weather conditions.
- This is a social community event. Your safety is your responsibility so please be mindful
Here’s what we’d LOVE you to do on the day!
- Choose the location you’d like to start from. Hook up with a buddy or go solo as we are most likely to pass each other along the way
- Check in to the events page and post a photo of the rubbish you have collected
- If possible, bring your rubbish to Sandy Beach Reserve so we can sort into piles for cataloguing, recycling and disposal.
- Meet us at Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean (end of West Road) for a social gathering from 12.00 pm, Free Sausage sizzle and fruit.
- Wear a belt or bum bag to loop your rubbish bag so you can be hands free or invent your own idea and share with us!
- Take your time, some areas may have more rubbish than others so don’t feel you have to rush to cover distance.
- Check the edges of the river bank and beaches which means you may have to step onto land or paddle close to the shore. Rubbish will accumulate here.
- Look for the small things like fish hooks, bottle tops etc. If you find a penny pick it up….
- If you come across fishing line that is too tangled to release, take a photo and note the location so we can report it to the relevant authorities.
- Secure a crate to your paddle board as a rubbish container.
Suggested Launch Locations
The launch locations are suggestions only. This stretch covers 11kms from Woodbridge Reserve Park to AP Hinds Reserve Bayswater. There is no pressure to cover a long distance. Take note of the comments about some of the locations just in case this affects you.
- Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean (End of West Road)
- Banks Reserve, Mount Lawley (Joel Terrace) – Can be windy. Open section of water
- Maylands Yacht Club (end of East Street). Watch out for shells on the beach that could damage board or cut feet.
- Bardon Park, Maylands (Fourth Avenue). Steep grassed hill to beach.
- Johnson Road, Maylands – Tranby Tea House located here. Small car park.
- Riverside Gardens, Bayswater (Milne Street) (Garratt Road Bridge) – Can be windy.
- Claughton Reserve, Bayswater (End of Katanning Street)
- Garvey Park, Ascot (End of Fauntleroy Avenue)
- Point Reserve, Bassendean (North Road, Bassendean)
- Fish Market Reserve, Guildford (Swan Street – West)
- Barkers Bridge, Caversham (West Swan Road)
Terms and Conditions Apply for Board Hire. Refer to Ticket.