“Keep our River Clean” Sunday 3rd March 2019
It’s on again!
We are overdue for our river clean up day. Everyone has been so busy and time has flown but we have a date set!
Keep our River Clean is scheduled for the 3rd March 2019 and I’ll have the trailer set up at Sandy Beach Reserve for those who would like to hire a SUP for $10.00 to participate on the water!
Sticking to our usual format, several launch locations have been set out as outlined below and covers the Eastern corridor. You can do as short or as long as you like however we have limited the time to finish within 90 minutes. The locations below are just suggestions so if you’d like to start somewhere else please do. Kayakers and walkers are welcome and very much needed where stand up paddlers can’t access.
As with all events we want to have as much fun as possible! So post up your antics from the day (keep it clean, pardon the pun) and see you all soon!
Date: 3rd March 2019
8.00 am: Start from your chosen location or from Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean if you’d like to hire a board.
9.30 am: Finish for a gathering at Sandy Beach Reserve for those who don’t have time constraints to see what we have collected.
I’ll have bags and gloves available at the trailer on the day or collect from me at one of our SUP School locations.
- Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean
- Claughton Reserve, Bayswater
- Garvey Park, Ascot
- Wear something high Vis please
- Wear booties for your feet if tramping through vegetation/ river banks etc
- Buddy up if you are a beginner paddler
- Use gloves when picking up rubbish.
- Be mindful of sharp objects
- Paddle on the Starboard side (land to your right)
- Remain on your knees in the shallows. Don’t over reach and compromise your balance
- Be aware of other watercraft and boat wakes
- Wear sun protection
- Take phone in water proof bag in the event of an emergency
- The event will be cancelled if not safe due to extreme weather conditions.
- This is a social community event. Your safety is your responsibility so please be mindful
Here’s what we’d LOVE you to do on the day!
- Choose the location you’d like to start from. Hook up with a buddy or go solo as we are most likely to pass each other along the way
- At 8.00 am on the dot check in to the events page and post “keep our river clean” so people can track our progress via facebook and see who is taking part.
- Post a photo of the rubbish you have collected onto the events page as you go along or after the event.
- Dispose of your rubbish in the council bins provided at your launch location.
- Meet us at Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean (end of West Road) for a social gathering and bring a picnic breakfast/brunch if you fancy!
- Wear a belt or bum bag to loop your rubbish bag so you can be hands free or invent your own idea and share with us!
- Take your time, some areas may have more rubbish than others so don’t feel you have to rush to cover distance.
- Check the edges of the river bank and beaches which means you may have to step onto land or paddle close to the shore. Rubbish will accumulate here.
- Look for the small things like cigarette butts, fish hooks, bottle tops etc. If you find a penny pick it up….
- If you come across fishing line that is too tangled to release, take a photo and note the location so we can report it to the relevant authorities.
- Secure a crate to your paddle board as a rubbish container.
Suggested Launch Locations
The launch locations are suggestions only so feel free to start somewhere else if you prefer. This stretch covers 20 kms from Belmont to Middle Swan. There is no pressure on anyone to cover a long distance. Take note of the comments about some of the locations just in case this affects you.
- Sandy Beach Reserve, Bassendean (End of West Road)
- Adachi Park, Belmont – Can paddle into the Ascot Wildlife Sanctuary from here. No boats allowed in the Sanctuary. Can be shallow. A short bridge requires crouching to get under.
- Banks Reserve, Mount Lawley – Can be windy. Open section of water
- Maylands Yacht Club (end of Fourth Ave)
- Johnson Road, Maylands – Tranby Tea House located here
- Riverside Gardens, Bayswater (Garratt Road Bridge) – Can be windy. You can paddle into the Ascot Wildlife Sanctuary from here. No boats allowed in the Sanctuary. Can be shallow. A short bridge requires crouching to get under
- Claughton Reserve, Bayswater
- Garvey Park, Ascot – Kiosk. Basic coffee and snacks.
- Point Reserve, Bassendean
- Fish Market Reserve, Guildford
- Barkers Bridge, Guildford
- Middle Swan Reserve, Caversham – New launch jetty installed. This area is not suitable for beginners.